A SEASON FOR EVERYTHING

There are moments amidst the planning, taking inventory, ordering that I have to stop and take a breath.  To remind myself that Jesus fed 5000 and He will provide for me.  I have no idea how to do this.  Don't even know how to turn all of the ovens on - literally, figuratively.  Or do I actually know very well?

As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace

The task set before me, beginning in 1 week, is to feed.  Physically, spiritually.  At once.  250 at a time, sometimes more.  Very intentional Discipleship.  I can get stuck there momentarily.  But then I remember.  Jesus fed 5000.  And suddenly there is calm.

The Life will be in the details; He has taught me well.  The tender moments of conversation with the volunteer by my side, the counselor far from home needing encouragement to continue pouring into precious lives with excitement, the visionary staff member constantly drained out, yes, those moments are of paramount importance.   Not to mention loving on, and blessing, the campers.  I must be ever ready to engage with hearts.  Jesus taught me Sabbath amidst chaos so that I can now live in those lessons.  Not just for Fridays any longer.  He taught me Sabbath to live in constant communion with Him.  Abiding.  Sharing.

Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.

As I have done at home with my small family, I will make only meals that we can delight in, teaching others alongside me in the process.  I do not see this feeding the masses as utility, I see it as an Artform.    I will weave Truth, Beauty and laughter into conversations, just as I did with my girls.  I will use feast as my sketchbook, task as my paint.    With these tools the Lord is now allowing me to work in building healthy, vibrant and righteously strong individuals.

The kitchen is the heart of the home, and so it is also the heart of Camp.  I am the only staff member on those 365 acres who will have access to staff, counselor, work crew and camper multiple times over … day after day.    I will paint before them the bounty of this Life and the one that is to come, reminding them of the Light they have to bring to this world, to live boldly for Him, to Glorify Him and to build His church.

Yes, my palette now is the bounty and delight of beautiful feasts … and a community garden in which I can teach hands-on lessons.  How numerous are my options!  But more amazing still, the fallowness of heart soil when child or adult has stepped away from their lives and come to a place like summer camp.  Ears are open,  eyes see differently.  Opportunity.    How reflective of our Savior and His ways.

I think of the feasts of Abigail and of Esther, how they subdued and civilized with winsome Beauty.  I think of the feasts of Heaven.

Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. 

When I think of how the Lord has trained me these past years, I am in awe.  So perfectly He fashioned those days.  So specifically.  So purposefully.  And now He is allowing the girls to serve right alongside me, but in their own personal and perfect Giftings.  At the perfect time.  Already trained, but more importantly willing and ready, because of all the days spent in our own dance and celebration of life.


Its Beautiful, isn't it?  A symphony.

I am the camp cook.  The smallest of jobs serving so many in such rich ways.    I can't believe He sees me as the one for such an important job.

And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.”