WHEW

Whew.  Now that was a week.

Every car in the neighborhood packed full, sky billowing and forest ablaze.  The constant roar of firetrucks, police, air traffic.  In seemingly the same moment that the cutting garden blossomed for the season, the forest caught fire and we were evacuated.

Interesting to see what each family member saw as necessity.  Interesting to see what I thought was.   Interesting to stand before that verse in the living room, focusing.  Interesting the lack of fear.

Peyton, quiet, still, trusting, taught me.  Savannahs eyes reminded me.  Dougs voice directed me.

Everything was saturated with the smells I associate only with campfires.  But these fires were like none I had known.  At one point, soot covered firefighters stood in front of us in line at Chipotle.  We could smell the story upon them.  The moment is still a whirlwind in my mind and the whole experience more than I have been able to yet file away.

Though it was not spoken aloud, we all said goodbye to our things as we drove away.  Interesting that the mood was one of lighthearted laughter.  I was on edge, my family jovial.


















We left with what mattered (pictures, documents, the dog and the kayak[?]) and moved into a Denver hotel.  The next morning the girls and I left for Texas.  Evacuations were lifted, Doug and Rugby returned to an untouched home.









Whirlwind.

As I drove the girls to TX, there was a moment when a train ran alongside us.  It seemed as long as the horizon.  The quietness of driving allowed me the space to think on last year while I was at Camp.  Then the fires on the other side of town were blazing.  Again, last night as I lay sleeping on my moms sun porch alone, I recollected it all.  I guess I will do that for awhile.

Ive just delivered Savannah to the Work Crew cabin where she will begin her two week stint (Peyton is having a vacation time with my Mom and Dad across the state).  Farther down the winding Camp dirt road, I tucked a yellow Irish linen sheet around a mattress in my favorite cabin and topped it with a nautical striped flat.

I have no responsibilities at Camp this week.  They simply, kindly,  made a place for me to quietly rest and write (alone) for 7 whole days.    I will be hidden here, invisible except to the wide open sky and the stands of mesquite and cedar trees.   I have a rocking chair on a territorial style porch and the sounds of locusts in the tops of trees.


I have these trails I love so much, this 360 acres I love so much - this hill country land surrounding me, this land where I awakened to my God pursuing me.    It is my very favorite place to be.  I am officially on my first week-long Sabbatical.


Im sure it will take some hours for me to absorb all I have seen and heard in the past week.       It is all a mixture of vivid and blurry right now.  But as in every other season, the Lord has Provided.  For this week, He has Provided a place for me to Rest alone with Him.