+[say my name truffles]+

Chocolate is to Doug what coffee is to me - he finds beauty in the experience of it.  Hes a foodie and in general (has his own secret stash of gourmet flavored sugars to sprinkle on the baked goods he creates and loves nothing more than tasting the ranges of black and pink sea salts at the spice store) but when it comes to chocolate, hes really enamoured.   His day to day (and I mean everyday) crush is dark chocolate with sea salt.   Sometimes with almonds... and sea salt.    Chocolove mostly.  If hes really desperate he eats my Chocolove dark chocolate with orange peel.  But his chocolate date of choice is truffles.  More regularly, he enjoys Godiva espresso truffles but his alltime favorites are from La Maison du Chocolat in Paris and Neuhaus in Belgium.  Who can blame the man, they are fabulous!  

This Valentines Day I wanted to do a few different things for him.  Though he is a man of few and chosen words, he is ultra sensorial.  In fact, as I told a friend recently, it is he who has taught me to collect and savor experiences.  So, for his non-chocolate gift I knew I wanted to make a big poster board filled with pockets of engaging treats for him.  So I got a red poster board and used hot glue to attach some parchment sandwich bags from Whole Foods.  I then decorated them with hearts cut out of my Restoration Hardware Fall 2012 Source Book (hes not a red heart and doily kind of guy).  I filled the pockets with travel size items from his personal fragrance line (oh my goodness, I love this stuff) along with a travel candle in the same fragrance because he always burns a candle when he travels, a Mens Journal magazine and an Evo magazine (because he would never buy these for himself but will LOVE to sit at the coffee shop and enjoy them),  a black pepper and ginger soap and a few other unmentionables.   But for his chocolate gift, I wanted to fill a Chinese takeout box with some special handmade truffles. 


After searching and experimenting, here is the customized recipe (truffles are so easy!) that I came up with.  I wont say they are as good as his European favorites, but I will say that hes loving them.   

Im calling them the "Say My Name" truffles.  You can call them whatever you want.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 package Ghirardelli bittersweet chips
  • 1/2 package Ghirardelli semisweet chips
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon prepared espresso or very strong coffee
  • 1/2 teaspoon Mexican (or any strong, high-quality) vanilla extract
  • Cocoa powder
Directions:

Place chocolates in a mixing bowl.

Heat the cream in a small saucepan until it just boils. Turn off the heat and allow the cream to sit for 20 seconds. Pour the cream into the bowl with chocolate. With a wire whisk, slowly stir the cream and chocolates together until the chocolate is completely melted. Whisk in the espresso/coffee and vanilla. Cover in plastic wrap then set aside in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.

With 2 teaspoons, spoon round balls of the chocolate mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roll each dollop of chocolate in your hands to roughly make a round ball then roll in cocoa powder to coat.  Refrigerate again for at least an hour to firm them up.

These will keep refrigerated for weeks, but serve at room temperature.