+[soup delivery]+

Once a month I make a double batch of soup and call someone spontaneously to see if I can drop a few soup filled mason jars off with them.  Its not something I think a lot about, and usually I have no idea who I am even going to call until moments before.   I think this is Peytons favorite night of the month.

Peyton never asks beforehand,  but she hovers around when she sees I have the soup pot out.  She watches to see if the Mason jars get pulled down and then she moves in.  "Mom, can I go with you?"  Somehow every month it catches me off guard.  She has always gone with me.  Probably will until she leaves home.

Tonight we took soup to our friend down the street.  Her husband died two years ago.  She tells me when we walk the trails that dinner is her least favorite time of the day.  Why bother making a big meal for one, she says.  So she usually eats something simple in front of the computer or TV.    I think I would do the same thing.  Her children are grown and gone.  And though shes an avid snowboarder (shes 60!), fly fisherwoman, hiker and 40 year Young Life Leader, dinner is not much of an adventure anymore. 

Shes one of my favorite women Ive met since we moved here.  There is a well there within her.

I promise you, I got way more joy out of sharing this soup than she will eating it.  I got to see her for a few unexpected minutes tonight and chit-chat!  And Peyton belly laughed alongside us.

Its just soup.  But somehow its more.

Thought Id share our recipe:


Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo

 - (8 servings total)

  • 8 cups chicken broth*
  • 1 1/2 Cup orzo pasta
  • 2 Cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken (I use rotisserie from the store) 
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 1-2 tsp. fresh dill (to taste) 
  • 2 Cups milk
  • salt and pepper (salt may not be needed if you use a purchased chicken broth)

Bring chicken broth to a strong simmer, almost a boil. Add the orzo. Cook five minutes, stirring once in awhile.

Add the chicken, lemon zest, lemon juice, and dill. Add milk, slowly simmer for at least 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. I like lots of pepper with lemon.  Tastes even better when reheated later!

Pour soup into large Mason jars  (or whatever you want) and deliver.  Sometimes I pick up a baguette to go along with the soup, sometimes I make lemon scones, sometimes its just the soup.   Just whatever.  The point really isnt the bread or the soup, its just sharing life.