+[momcation]+


Today begins my 4 day Momcation. Though I wholeheartedly believe in the 1 day per week, 1 week per year of Sabbath ideal, I confess it has been 16 years since I have had 4 continuous days of solitude, and never 7. Doug has sent me to hotels for the weekend and such, but never for this long.

While on the east coast for a few weeks, friends have loaned me their mountain home to use as my basecamp. With over 6,000 square feet of beautiful living space, they thought me very odd to only desire the decks for writing, reading, eating and sleeping. But why be indoors during a Colorado summer when you can be outdoors?

What will I do, everyone asks. It's funny, a few months ago I probably would have just turned off the lights and rocked in a corner of the flagstone floor.  I (in my mind) needed this Sabbatical a lot more then than now. But with a summer of rest and clear internal new life showings it's buds, I'm approaching the time much differently than I would have then.  I'm putting into practice what I've learned in my weekly Sabbath. Its true that one must understand Sabbath before one can live Sabbatical.  Otherwise you simply find yourself with time on your hands and no idea of how to spend it.

I have learned from my Friday Sabbaths that a half day of outdoor exercise and a half day of creativity make for true rest for me.   So I have a bag full of hiking clothes that will endure water well, thanks Taralyn, along with a selection of my favorite flowing maxi dresses for afternoons and evenings on the breezy deck.   My paints, brushes and papers are in the backseat of the car along with journals, pens and a list of writing ideas.  For nighttime,  Ive reserved and picked up a selection of girly movies Ive always wanted to see, but never have.  Im reading Bella Tuscany while away (because I loved Under the Tuscan Sun so much last summer - book NOT movie) and am planning to cook dinners for these next few days only from those recipes she writes of... so I can truly experience the book.    Lunches will be quick, easy, portable fixes like my fav "Cabo" salad (my take on the Cobb - grilled chicken chunks, avocado, cilantro, cucumber chunks, lotta fresh lime juice, salt, pepper) or pesto egg salad (boiled eggs, chopped. with homemade mayo and pesto folded in).  Both of these I eat in lettuce wraps or just plain.  And then theres always my fav Caprese salad (fresh mozzarella, basil and heirloom tomatoes doused in olive oil).  Simple.

My "thanks Taralyn" comment was a reference to her reminding me yesterday afternoon to not forget my kayak.  I didnt.  Nor the mountain bike.  I plan to glide the waters of Estes Lake and ride the Santa Fe Trail.

Time to step out of my usual roles, the wearing of my various hats, and into just me again.  Im glad Ive grown to like me.  It took awhile.   Sabbath taught me about that too.