+[kick the dog kind of day]+

The other morning as I listened to Tim Keller on podcast he said it was a "kick the dog kind of day". I laughed but wasn't sure I would have ever used that phrase myself. Well, today I am. Though it has nothing at all to do with the dog.

Our morning began on a spectacularly foul note and I was quite certain that only cardamom would make the afternoon look any better. Everyone who knows me well knows my love of cardamom!

So I made a rustic grainfree apple pie. With cardamom. Because baking keeps my mouth shut until it needs to open.

The girls always say that when they have made me mad they know they will either find me baking or pulling weeds; baking quiets me, weeding reminds me.


I loved the pie, didn't share it, and now am going to have a splendid afternoon regardless.

GFSF Rustic Apple Cardamom Pie


Crust:
1 cup almond flour
1 Tbs arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbs grapeseed oil
1 Tbs raw agave nectar


Filling:
2 Tbs grapeseed oil
5 med granny smith apples
1/2 cup apple juice
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 Tbs freshly squeezed
lemon juice
1 Tbs arrowroot powder
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 -1/2 tsp ground cardamom (depends on how much you like cardamom)
Position oven rack on top level and preheat oven to 500.


For crust:
Pulse all "crust" ingredients in food processor for 10 seconds. Transfer dough to a bowl and place in freezer for 10 min.


For filling:
Heat grapeseed oil in skillet over medium high heat. Sauté apples stirring occasionally until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.


While apples are sautéing, whisk apple juice, agave, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, cinnamon and cardamom together. After apples are caramelized pour this mixture on top and stir for 10 seconds on medium heat. Remove from heat and immediately pour into a buttered pie plate or 8x8 pan.


Remove dough from freezer and form into a ball. Place dough between 2 sheets of parchment and roll until 1/16 inch thick. Remove top sheet of parchment and place dough over pie. Peel back remaining parchment and allow dough to fall on pie. It will break and crumble but that's just perfect!


On top oven rack, bake for 5 minutes, until golden brown. Move to bottom rack and bake 5 more. Crust will be dark brown.

Serve in ramekins with whipped heavy cream. My girls love a splash of grade B maple syrup in the cream as well, though they shan't be having any today. Humph.

*recipe adapted from the fabulous Elanas pantry