+[rest]+advent day 9

Saturday, in the cozy front window of a French cafe we love, Dougs words made me spew latte from my nose because I was laughing so hard.  Then he made me cry telling me how pretty my smile was.

Today, while having lunch out, he asked if Ive ever considered getting business cards with him.  I roll my eyes and ask what in the world they would say??  He suddenly looks alarmingly serious and says:

Our full names
Lovers

Drink spews through the nose once again.   His timing is impeccable!  He declares we should head over to Office Max immediately and have a few made...pass them out to new people at church we meet.  Can you imagine?



We really have so much fun together when we have time alone.  The girls have been gone for near a week now.  Weve missed them.  Really, we have.  But weve also really enjoyed the time alone.

Ive also enjoyed time alone with myself.  Ive read most of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which I must admit is one of my all time favs.  Truly fabulous writing.  Ive experimented in the kitchen with a few new recipes, baked after dinner (which I never do), crunched through the snow-dusted woods and sat hours by the fire drinking lavender tea and writing letters to those I love most.


I feel this past week has been a gift.

Typically the first week of December a piercing ache refrains in my heart and mind.  But instead, this year, I have been encircled by quiet and comfort, peace and joy.  Since we have no possessions here yet and my children are away, its as if a vacation from even the simplest distractions of my normal daily life (cleaning, laundry, etc) has been provided.  Its as if He has invited me to a week away in the snow with Him, a week of remembering.

In these tranquil moments of walking, cooking, writing and enjoying the warmth of marriage, it is so easy to see the Presence of Christ in my life - His continual, careful and intentional love.  This quietude has provided a window of reflection for me to review all He has ushered me through, all He has sustained and accomplished in my life.  His hand has truly been upon me all of my days!    There is a liberty which comes with this kind of time and reflection.  But it is never a once done gaze.  Rather it is a reflection I must consistently gaze upon, especially this disquieting week of the year.  He knows that, and once again He has Provided.

My cup is refilling.   My heart is still.

Rest.